10 Reasons to Vote that are NOT ABOUT YOU:
1. To honor and show gratitude to the people who fought in this country for YOUR right to vote.
2. In some countries, people have to risk their lives to vote. Show some respect by not taking this privilege and right for granted.
3. To ensure a climate-change denier isn’t in office and to vote for the planet.
4. To flip the Senate. To fill the supreme court vacancies. It is NOT just a president on the ballot.
5. So you can complain with integrity and not be a hypocrite. (Okay. That one is about you.)
6. To retain ANY shred of honor or respect for the USA in relationship to the rest of the world, countries, leaders and peoples.
7. To demonstrate your respect to my children, your children, and to the generations that will inherit what we have the power to influence and build (or destroy) together today.
8. To check your privilege at the door and remember this is about more than what’s at risk for YOU. Because EVERYTHING IS ON THE LINE. If you have a gay friend, a friend with immigrant parents, a muslim friend, a Mexican friend, an eff-ing FEMALE friend, then think about what’s on the line for them in this election. THIS IS MORE THAN ABOUT YOU.
9. To prove you are more than self-serving. (Am I being heard on this point?)
10. If you choose not to vote, you better not tell me. As your loving friend, I will diplomatically kick your ass.
PS. Hey to EVERY STUDENT I’VE EVER WORKED WITH: I’M LOOKING AT YOU.