Category: Makes You Feel Human
- The Sun Magazine. If you consider yourself any kind of reader or writer – you MUST, must, must order The Sun Magazine. A monthly edition of advertisement-free and DELICIOUS photography, essays, interviews, short stories, poetry and quotes. I’m serious. Please support an editorial world that embraces and celebrates humanness (and rejects shameless advertising). If you don’t love this literary magazine, I personally will give you your money back (and take your issues)
Category: Inspires You to Write
- The Chronology of Water by Lidia Yuknavitch. If you feel a little outside-of-the-box in your writing style, read Yuknavitch to feel “throw-this-book-at-a-window” inspired. She normalizes the surfacing of the subconcious in your creative process. And she’s just fucking brilliant. I was fortunate enough to sit in awe in the back of one of her classes. Just thinking of her makes me want to break glass. Thank you and YES Lidia.
Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott. A mom-friendly guide to finding writing-will in the cracks of life. In between the smell of a blowout and the scream of an immediate snack-need, I can pick up a page, and find both a well-needed smile and the satiation of some important writing-guidance morsel.
- When Women Were Birds by Terry Tempest Williams. You will melt, cry, sigh, and float on her prose to the sky. I was so moved by her words that I sewed a quote from this book into my baby girl’s receiving blanket:
“Once upon a time, when women were birds, there was the simple understanding that to sing at dawn and to sing at dusk was to heal the world through joy. The birds still remember what we have forgotten: that the world is meant to be celebrated.” – Terry Tempest Williams
Category: In Desperate Need of Parenting Help
- No Drama Discipline by Daniel J. Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson. Do you suck at parenting and lose your shit as often as I do? Hire a sitter and take a long drive in the mountains with this downloaded on your Iphone to hear calm voices whispering about a better-way in your ear. It’s a game-changer.
- NoWhere Literary Magazine
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. The book that inspired my 7-year global pilgrimage. A simple fable about finding the courage to chase a dream.
- Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. I think most people in this day and age have enough privilege to relate to the emptiness of Prince Siddhartha’s royal life.
- Travels with Charley in Search of America by John Steinbeck
- On the Road by Jack Kerouac
Category: Natural Pregnancy & Birth
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May
- Ina May’s Guide to Breastfeeding by Ina May
- Sweet Sleep: Nighttime and Naptime Strategies for the Breastfeeding Family. The La Leche Legue (who put out this book) doesn’t like to call it co-sleeping because of the negative connotation, but that’s pretty much what it is. Co-sleeping with a baby is a COMPLETE game-changer and I can’t recommend it more highly. Just read this book first for the guidelines on co-sleeping safety. And then get ready to get the best sleep a nursing mom can get.
- Infant Potty Training: A Gentle and Primeval Method Adapted to Modern Living by Laurie Boucke
- Women Who Run with the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estés
- The Hero with a Thousand Faces (The Collected Works of Joseph Campbell) by Joseph Campbell
- Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health by Toni Weschler
- Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition by Timothy Gallagher. Do you have a sneaking suspicion about the entire field of dentistry? This book offers you some tools and weapons to feel empowered to fight the tooth fight without a drill. Fair warning: It involves copious amounts of fermented cod liver oil.
- Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing by Christiane Northrup
Category: Simply Great Story Storytelling & Beautiful Writing (the latter, for me, a prerequisite of the former)
- The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay
- Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
- Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- The Hummingbird’s Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- East of Eden by John Steinbeck
- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
- The Tortilla Curtain by T. Coraghessan Boyle
- The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
- The Shadow of the Sun by Ryszard Kapuściński, Klara Glowczewska
- Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
- A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
- Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins
- The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
- A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
Category: Spiritual & Personal Growth
- The Wisdom of the Enneagram: The Complete Guide to Psychological and Spiritual Growth for the Nine Personality Types by Don Richard Riso. Ready to take a good hard and painful look into the darkest shadows of your ego? This is the book. I’ve been workshopping the Enneagram with a small reading group for 7-months, and the material is endless. I find it easiest to use the Iphone app to figure out your type and then dive into the book.
- The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran
- Let My People Go Surfing: The Education of a Reluctant Businessman by Yvon Chouinard (Patagonia)
- The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts by Gary Chapman
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain
- The Essential Rumi by Jalal al-Din Rumi and Coleman Barks
Category: Books I Am Happy to Read Out-loud a THOUSAND Times (*and foster good human qualities in littles like gratitude, imagination, and curiosity)
- A Good Day by Kevin Henkes
- Journey by Aaron Becker
- A Camping Spree With Mr. Magee by Chris Van Dusen
- From Head to Toe Board Book
by Eric Carle
- We’re Going on a Bear Hunt by Helen Oxenbury (Author), Michael Rosen
- Me . . . Jane(Goodall) by Patrick McDonnell
- The Snowman by Raymond Briggs
- Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball Board book by Vicki Churchill & Charles Fuge
- Little Blue Truck Board Book Board book by Alice Schertle
- Goodnight Moon Board book by Margaret Wise Brown
- The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
- I Love You Through And Through Board book by Bernadette Rossetti Shustak
- Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book Board book by Rod Campbell
- I See a Monster! (A Touch and Feel Book) by Bendon Inc.
- The Pout-Pout Fish Board book by Deborah Diesen
- Dr. Seuss’s Beginner Book Collection (Cat in the Hat, One Fish Two Fish, Green Eggs and Ham, Hop on Hardcover – Box set by Seuss
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Board book by Eric Carle
- The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and The Big Hungry Bear Hardcover by Don Wood
- Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings Hardcover by Shel Silverstein
- ALL Pete the Cat Books by James Dean. Buddhism (incognito) for the littles! Here are some favorites: Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes, Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons, Pete the Cat and His Magic Sunglasses